Friday, July 13, 2007

Understanding Photography

The Biligiriranga Hills, commonly called B R Hills, is a hill range situated in south-eastern Karnataka, at its border with Tamil Nadu in South India. The area is called Biligiriranga Temple Wildlife Sanctuary or simply BRT Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected reserve under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1973. Being at the confluence of the Western Ghats and the Eastern Ghats, the sanctuary is home to eco-systems that are unique to both the mountain ranges. This makes it a very critical habitat. Well within days of getting my D-SLR, I was all set to a 2 day trip to the very beautiful B.R. Hills.

Indeed a beautiful place, and when I was back, I was all excited to see my photographs. Well to my astonishment all my snaps were NOT so great! Well finally I did realize that its not the camera that really matters but its the way you take a picture. I tried a lot but absolutely no use.

I decided to join some photography workshop to understand the basics of photography. Well finally I found one and joined Anand Sharan's weekend workshop at BSoAP (http://www.bsoap.com/). This is when I realized the true use of a D-SLR and thanks to the point and shoot cameras I never knew the beautiful world of D-SLR's.

Well thanks to Anand Sharan, I understood one of the most important concepts of Photography. Composition! Composition is definately important and I could see the difference after the workshop on my images. When doing photography its important to see the world not what your eye's see but what the eye piece of your camera would see.

The other homework you can do is see as many photographs as possible. Be it on the internet or the magazines. A few suggestions from my side would be NationalGeographic.com, BetterPhoto.com and DPchallenge.com. These are some beautiful websites with great photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment